FLOODED BASEMENT? Here is What You Need to Do

0 0 0 0 0


A waterlogged basement is a huge frustration. In fact, it’s a nightmare no homeowners want to see in real. However, the basement can be flooded for a number of reasons, from poor basement sealing, weeping tile failure, improperly installed downspouts and stuck gutters to leaking pipes.

Basement flooding creates more than a mess.

Soggy boxes of books, damped carpets, floating objects, and sopping sofas are what you end up once the jets of water hit your basement. However, it’s not the time to cry over the spilled milk.

Don’t delay. It’s the time to take action to get the water mopped up and fix the problem areas. Otherwise, mold can start growing within a couple of days.

Don’t Enter a Flooded Basement:

Flooded basement not only creates an ugly scene but also pose risk to you and your family members. The water is most likely to enter the sockets and running electrical appliances. Therefore, electric current may be present in the water, creating a huge risk of shock. This is why you should call an electrician first. Make sure to shut off the power in your home.

Remove the Water:

Once you’ve shut off the main power switch or you are sure that there is no current in the water, you can remove the water. If your sump pump has failed due to submerging into the flooded basement, you might need to purchase a new one to drain the standing water. Afterward, use a mop and towels to clean up the rest. If there are more than two feet of water in your basement, call a professional to dry out the basement instead of trying to remove the water yourself.

Move the Items Out:

Move all the items out of the basement to a well-ventilated area or sunny place. Drying out the items inside the damp basement won’t help. Make sure to keep them in a well-ventilated area for at least 48 hours. Otherwise, they would catch mold and mildew if not dried up properly. Make sure to assess them after 48 hours and see if they require more drying. Discard wet cardboard boxes as they are vulnerable to bacterial growth. As far as your electrical items concerned, avoid touching them even with the electricity disconnected. Let them dry in place, and call a professional electrician to get them fixed.

Dry Your Basement:

The next step is to dry your basement as it is not likely to dry on its own. You can use fans or rent industrial blowers. A dehumidifier is a great way to remove excess moisture, drying up your basement faster as well as minimizing the risk of molds.

Prevent the Growth of Molds:

Damp and dark areas are the breeding ground for molds. They can thrive there easily. Mold leads to several health threats. You need to clean your walls and floors thoroughly. Make sure to wear gloves and protective eyewear. You can clean the walls using soap and warm water. To clean the floor like vinyl tile, linoleum, and other hard surfaces, scrub it with a solution made from one cup of chlorine bleach and one gallon of water. Use HEPA air purifier to filters out mold spores and allergens. However, you need to take note of the basement every day after the flood for the development of mold. If you are in doubt, clean the suspected areas with bleach and warm water.

Get the Problems Fixed:

It’s time to fix the things so that you don’t encounter the flooded basement next time. Call the professionals to fix the leaky pipes, clogged drains, and gutters and cracked seals across the basement.

Leave a Comment